First Baptist Irving

Nearly-Wed and Newlywed Couples

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Testimonies

This past Sunday's lesson was about testimonies. There will be a sign up sheet next Sunday for couples to give their testimony so that we can get to know each other better! 

Testimony
What do you say? Are you excited to give your testimony or do you dread the possibility?
1 Peter 3:15

Charles asked me in college, "Why do you love Jesus?" This was the first time someone had asked me this. I could not answer. I didn't know how to answer it. I knew Jesus loved me. I knew I loved Jesus. But how do I say it? So I asked him, "why do you love Jesus, Charles?" And he said, "Let me tell Him why." He began to pray and give account of why he loved His Savior. I was moved. Not because he answered the question, but because for the next 20 minutes he prayed and talked to his Savior of why he loved Him. How could one comprehend the love of a Savior this much? This moment impacted me in ways Charles can never understand.
He gave a record of who Jesus was to him.

Testimony
Marturia- evidence of, record, report, witness of, testimony
Bearing witness.
Gal 4
Romans 8:12-17
Heb 10:15-17

Our testimony will be different depending on the audience we are speaking with.
- by the words we use.
- by how we talk to people be it in casual conversation, or at a podium giving testimony to hundreds or thousands
- does not need to be a rehearsed, rigid format, but needs to be organized and thought through so that your words are exact and clear of the work God has done in you.

What's in a testimony?
1. It's not what you have done! It's not about you. Some people say, "my testimony is not very good, not strong, not very long." Hogwash! If this is your frame of mind, then I tell you, you have forgotten what The Lord has done for you!
Have to understand the POWER of your testimony.
Rev 12:11
Why? It's not your Work. Jesus saved you that's the testimony. He pulled you for the mud, cleaned you up and set you at the royal table.

2. Paul gave a great example of a testimony in Acts 26
Paul gives account of his testimony to Agrippa.
Sections divided up:
Early life
Conversion
Post-conversion

3. Preparation in thought.
What was your life like before you met The Lord?
What was going on in your life at the time you met The Lord- struggles, issues...

4. Outline:
Before Jesus
How you found Him
Since then
Or
What life was like before Jesus
How I came to realize I needed a savior
What my life is like now that Jesus is my savior.

Galatians 4
Revelation 12
Hebrews 10
1 Peter 3:15
Romans 8:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment